Main Article Content

Abstract

India has traditionally been vulnerable to natural disasters and man-made disasters on account of its unique geo-climatic and geo-political conditions. As per UNDP (2012) status report, floods, droughts, cyclones, earthquakes and landslides have been recurrent phenomena. Srivastava (2010) points that around 60% of the landmass is prone to earthquakes of various intensities; over 40 million hectares is prone to floods; about 8% of the total area is prone to cyclones and 68% of the area is susceptible to drought. Indian cities are exposed to terrorist attack, communal conflicts etc. The loss in terms of private, community and public assets due to above factors have been astronomical. Government of India (2004) status report reveals that the institutional and policy mechanisms for carrying out response, relief and rehabilitation in India has been well-established since Independence and are robust and effective insofar as response, relief and rehabilitation are concerned. However, the disaster affected people face numerous psychological trauma their coping capacity differs based on their socio-economic position, age and gender. Therefore, socio-psychological interventions after disaster is essential as it would address wide range of social, psychological and mental health issues arising out of disaster.   This paper is an attempt to identify the socio-psychological implications on disaster affected people and suggest measures.

Article Details